How to sew a pillow cover | Learning the basics

Hello there darlings and loved ones! In case you want to start sewing yourself, and you read my previous posts on how to start, you have a...

Hello there darlings and loved ones!

In case you want to start sewing yourself, and you read my previous posts on how to start, you have all the equipment, but still aren't sure how and where to start, this post is made for you. Also for those of you who just want to see if it is as easy as I say it is. And it is, trust me!


I have made two pillow cases from this lovely yellow fabric today and it took me less than an hour. The whole process. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, the best way how to start sewing and get into it is to make something for your home like a patchwork blanket or even a duvet since you have more space for errors because you will use it only in your home. And I guess everyone understands the difference between making something for your home and making something you'll wear to the Oscars for example.

And now that I think about it it won't be the Oscar night when I will post this, but it is when I am writing this so it is a good comparison right now :).

Making a pillow case is extremely easy process and the outcome is awesome. You can practice sewing straight lines, you can practice sewing long lines and short lines, you can practice basting and backward sewing, you can practice sewing buttons and buttonholes. There is so many things you can practice on this small (or big) piece of fabric and still the process itself is extremely easy! It actually takes four steps (and yes I counted them:)):
  1. Sew the top hem (that's where the buttons will go)
  2. Sew the sides and the bottom
  3. Sew the button holes
  4. Sew the buttons
And you are done! Bellow is a picture tutorial and some more detail about each and every step.


1. Sew the top hem, the one for buttons. As you can see this one is actually a simple rolled hem, meaning you roll it two times hiding the end of fabric inside. Make it wide enough, at least one centimeter wide, to be able to place all the buttons on there.



2. Sew the sides and the bottom of the case. The easiest is when you cut the fabric twice as big as the actual pillow, so that you can skip sewing one side and only fold it on that side. But if you didn't do that don't worry, you'll know next time, plus no one else will see the difference. Also if you don't know what I am talking about tell me in the comments for further explanation, because my mind works in strange ways sometimes and even my husband has hard time understanding me explaining things sometimes.

Other thing I wanted to say is that I made a rolled hem here. You can do a more sophisticated rilled hem, by not joining the two sides evenly, but making one stick out a bit and than folding that excess into a roll hiding out the second side. But as far as I noticed the rolled hem works just as well, since there is no difference in the result. But it is more fun the first way, little bit more complicated :).

Also if you want you can also do a normal stitch wit both ends sticking out and then zig-zag them together or zig zag them apart one at a time before. The reason behind using the rolled technique is that you will be using these for ages and also washing them many times and if they were just zig-zagged the fabric would start to fall apart way sooner than with the ends hidden.
 

3. Sew on button holes. If you are not sure how your sewing machine works, try it out on a spare piece of fabric. And if you are scared, now it is time to stop, because you have so much space to test it out and fail so many times, and succeed even more times and no one will see it, just you. That's the magic behind it. So now it is time to get over that panic caused by buttonhole pressed foot. (I had it as well, but now I can't picture my life without it. I once almost ruined my skirt by being scared so much that I made that buttonhole in hand and oh my it turned out horrible. But since no one else knew I wore that skirt anyways and it still looked amazing).


4. Sew on your button. And yes this is done in hand, and it is the easiest thing ever. Watch out for the lining of your button hole and the button to be correct.
Also a pro tip, if you are sewing button on a piece or wardrobe where it will be pulled and stretched like on a coat, sew it with a small button on the inside of fabric, securing the big one on the outside this way. I haven't really figured out why it works I just noticed. But I will look into it later on and explain.

Don't think binary.
Whitelilit

You Might Also Like

0 komentárov